Saturday, July 4, 2015

Shruti ..Maybe you want to hear me out ?

Dear Shruti,

Hello and Good sunday morning !

Always believed you were the most cute lady on TV. Your persona is very endearing. I actually saw Comedy circus only for you. You are like a little sister one would love to have.

However the other day I was a tad disappointed by your Tweet on the PMs action of asking people to take selfies with their daughter. Disappointed not because you opinionated on the popular PMs request  but because I see in his request a genuine possibility to explode awareness in one single action.

It is absolutely not a question of whether you have a right to share your opinion or not but by questioning a very valuable game changing request you are doing it disservice.

Please allow me to explain. The people of this country are very simple. I am not talking about your or me. It is the vast majority of simple humble people who unfortunately are given into crass way of looking at their daughters in a differentiated manner. These people are also imitators of who they follow. They do everything that a leader does. If the leader tells them to take a selfie and show respect for their daughter they will. Is this in itself not a simple win for women folk of India and elevating respect ?

You are yourself very popular. And elements of doubt on this sneaking into the people's mind only does disservice which I am sure is not your intent.

Should the people have hurt you with their reactions to your tweet? Absolutely not. Can it be avoided? Possibly not. Because it is these very crass people that the PM hopes to change with his request.

Please do not get hurt by the dozens that are abusive and vulgar. But please do not give a chance to the thousands like me who find you endearing but start suspecting the intent of your opinion. Simply because yes it matters

Hope you find merit in my view.

Best wishes

warm regards
Navindutt
Singapore

No comments:

Post a Comment