Monday, October 31, 2016

Set me free

It is not the first time that I have stumbled upon a bird In a cage. Perhaps it had become part of a wholesale ambience that surrounds as and that which the combined system senses of visual info and analysis in our brains relegated to a secure background not to be acted upon
But last evening as I made my way through the thick greenery that envelopes most buildings in this city I came across this cage and a bird within .
I would have probably walked had I not noticed an almost melancholic look on its face as it seemed to stare into the yonder . It seemed to be lost in thought it's attention hypnotized by something in the horizon .
Well the horizon was not too far as I chased its vector of gaze and saw a clump of trees from where more fortunate free birds seemed to be making a racket and flying in and out. The cacophony of the chirping which could normally be lost in the noise of our thoughts took on a very disturbing new dimension of freedom or lack of it
The bird saw what its lost destiny in front of it through the cage. It knew there was a purpose to the wings that it possesses but that which had become probably atrophied from lack of usage . It knowledge of mobility and Use of appendages was lost . It had started to get used to the idea that perhaps the 180 degree turn that it took within the cage on its swinging rod was the extent of the movement granted by god to it . Till now perhaps .
The visual confuses the poor creature. Pecking gratefully at grains thrown by its owners it had assumed that it had been fortunate . But the green foliage seemed like a different world . It tried to move its now redundant wings and failed.
I had to move on leaving the avian to ponder over its existence now hijacked by its more powerful masters
I just wonder which law deems it ok to trap a a flying being in a prison with a spade volume of less than 15 liters, disallow usage of its basic and fundamental right as designed by nature. I always disliked zoos but I think a bigger crime is right in our homes where we trap living beings for our pleasure.
I saw myself cruelly hoping the bird died and released itself of this human torture rather than die slowly everyday staring at its luckier flying companions . If anyone owns please do rethink about the practice and let them go .
( The picture attached is purely representative )

No comments:

Post a Comment